I am sure our house is no different than most, Grayson LOVES pancakes. Like he would eat them Every. Single. Day. if he could. We try to eat reasonably healthy around here and when possible gluten free, so traditional pancakes are something I prefer we save for the odd occasion. And so I have been on the look out for a great gluten free pancake that isn’t full of crap or taste like crap! Turns out most gluten free pancakes don’t taste great. I have been searching for months and tried many recipes. Lo and behold a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a recipe that is a crowd pleaser!!
I love these pancakes for several reasons:
- They are made with healthy ingredients
- Most of these ingredients are in your fridge/pantry
- They can be made gluten free, dairy free and they are refined sugar free
- They are pretty hardy and don’t fall apart as soon as you put your fork to them
- They are made in a blender so clean up is easy!
- They taste delicious!!!
The recipe I use is from Mountain Mama Cooks. I modify the recipe a bit each time I make them depending what I have on hand (today I was out of vanilla) and they always taste delicious! I don’t add honey because we usually add maple syrup or make a fresh fruit syrup to go on top so I feel like they don’t need the extra sweetness. Plus they have banana in them and that adds to the sweetness. Today when I made them I added blueberries because who doesn’t love blueberry pancakes?! Well Grayson doesn’t love blueberry pancakes, but I sure do!
The pancakes are very hearty and always leave me feeling very satisfied! I find they hold up really well and can be reheated and I think probably even frozen. Today I doubled the recipe so we have some to take for snacks when we are out and about or for easy breakfasts later in the week.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!! Bon Appetite!!
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1 large ripe, organic banana
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large organic egg
- coconut oil or butter for cooking
- Place all ingredients, except egg and coconut oil in the base of a blender and blend until smooth. Add egg and pulse a few times until egg is fully incorporated.
- Heat a griddle or large saute pan over medium heat and melt a teaspoon or two of coconut oil. When hot, pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side) and serve hot with maple syrup.
- *If batter becomes too thick to pour easily, add a tablespoon or two of almond milk to thin.